What have we been up to you ask?? Well, a ton! However, one thing in the math department was particularly helpful for me and I wanted to share. I didn't get around to teaching time before Christmas Break (shame on you Mrs. Dolling), so I kicked off the unit on Tuesday. I knew better than to be "talkin' at them" in the afternoon during the week we just returned from 14+ days off, so I ran with this ditty to help me intro the concept . . . TASTY TIME!
|Yup . . . those are licorice stick hands!|
- Have your babes draw a large circle on their desk in dry erase marker (this will be their clock face). Ask them to make a line and the top and the bottom of their circle. Model how to label them with the numbers 12 and 6. Next, have them make lines on the right and left-hand sides of their circle. These are marked with a 3 and 9. Finally go around the clock and put two ticks between each quarter of the circle. Model how to label these with the correct numbers so each student has a clock drawn on their desk. I made sound effects the whole time . . . it's amazing how far a simple "whoosh" or "gooby-gobby" will go. Remember . . . these won't be perfect, but it serves its purpose just fine in my book :)
- Give each of your babes a licorice rope. Have them fold it in half and tear it apart to make two equal pieces. Go ahead . . . let 'em eat one half . . . they'll be yours for the rest of the lesson! This is the hour hand.
- Next, give them a second licorice rope and have them bite off the tip. They don't have to do this, but they LOVE it. And it's a riot to watch them smile and try and take the littlest of bites! I am all about keeping the kids and myself entertained. This is the minute hand.
- Call out a time and have your sweeties show it on their "desk clocks" using the licorice sticks.
- I also suggest having your students write the corresponding digital time on their desk. This provides a VERY quick way for you to assess your babes' understanding of the concept!
On a final note today (something TOTALLY unrelated), look what I got from the very nice UPS man yesterday?? No more black streaks down the back of every page I print . . . I am in heaven!
Alright, I gotta jet. It's time for me to get ready for my first physical therapy appointment. I am all nervous about it for some reason. Silly girl. See you soon!!!