First up today, I have a low-prep art project for you - Snowman Pointillism Painting. My kids did this the Friday before Christmas Vacay and it calmed them to the core. Sounds like I am spinning a very tall tale right about now, huh??! But I am super cereal! You could have heard a pin drop (on PJ/Polar Express Day and only 4 days before Santa's arrival mind you) . . . they were so focused and content.
This could be a great one to use that first week after the break to ease 'em back into the routine while creating something for those naked walls. Can you say win-win??!! All you need is the snowman template (snatch it up below), blue construction paper, some tempra paint, Q-Tips, and the directions . . .
- Copy the template on blue construction paper.
- Prior to painting, roll up all your kids' sleeves. Uh, lesson learned . . . can you tell I don't have kids yet??!!
- Give each pair of kiddos white and brown tempra paint (they don't need much) and a handful of Q-Tips.
- Model how to dip the Q-Tip into the white paint and "dot" paint their template. Be sure to remind them not to rub the Q-Tip back and forth!
- The kids should paint the snowman before doing the arms. I also like for my babes to finish all of these steps before I add the black paint to their pallets (for the face). They tend to get all antsy and paint the face before they are done with the white and it can jack things up.
- When they are dry, trim them up (see photo below). You also can have them add construction paper hats and scarves at this time.
|CLICK HERE to get the template!|
Next up, I finished my Good Morning Work Reading Packet for January last night. I managed to get 'em both out pretty close together this time. However, my brain must have been on vacation as the covers don't look all that similar this time. Good one, Dolling!
For those of you who may not know about my Good Morning Work Packets, let me quickly explain. I have created a monthly collection of worksheets that provide the perfect INDEPENDENT, yet highly rigorous, warm-up for your kiddos. I give both sheets to my babes every morning and it helps us spiral back and revisit all of those key common core standards. The best part is that they free up precious moments during that hectic morning rush!
As always, I am offering up the "Try 'em before you buy 'em" deal. Click on the link below to try out a few worksheets with your crew. If you dig them, come on back and buy the whole set.
|CLICK HERE to download these reading pages.|
Read more about January's GMW Math Packet + get the tester pages HERE.
Finally, I wanted to see if any of you are attending the PK1 Conference in Santa Clara, CA next month??!! Well, I will be there. And guess what?? I am a presenter this year! If you are interested in attending my session (Phonics is Fun - F8), I'd love to have you sign up. I am hoping that my class "makes" and I get to keep my slot . . . my fingers are crossed!! I am the very last session on the last day of the conference. However, I promise to make it worth your while. I'll have lots of freebies, easy-prep ideas/games/activities, and oodles of laughs up for grabs! If this just isn't the session for you and your needs, no worries . . . just come and say howdy. I'd love to meet you!! Oh, and don't forget that Ron + Nancy Brown (Intelli-Tunes) are also hosting a session. You don't want to miss out on this one. They are FAN-TAB! Click on the pic below to learn more!
Wow . . . was I ever full of it today! I hope you found a thing or two that you could use in all of that :) I'll be back soon with a few other winter goodies. My hiney is firmly planted at my computer for the rest of the weekend (sorry honey)! Be sure to pop on over to TBA to check out all of the other sweet goodies up for grabs! I heart me a good Freebie Friday.